- You want to get someplace.
- You get in your car and start your engine.
- You shift in the first gear and start.
- Soon you notice that the engine rpm is too high, it makes too much noise, uses too much gas, and the car moves too slowly for such noise and energy consumption.
- You shift into the next gear. Engine rpm, noise, fuel consumption and relative speed back to normal.
- Repeat from step 4, until you reach your destination.
When you shift gears, what you accomplish is this: you move faster towards your destination, making less noise and using less energy.
Can you do that to your life? Can you shift gears, so that you will reach your goals faster, and at the same time using less energy? You know the answer: YES!
How? Focus of course. Reduce the noise, concentrate your efforts, drop some time consuming plans, use your energy wisely on things that matter. De-clutter.
The thing you’re probably unaware is: a lot of your energy is spent on activities that don’t appear to be energy sinks, and they’re difficult to identify as such. For example, you’re at work, and at some point you get bored. Boredom, as you know, is excess energy which you could use for your own goals. So, what do you do with this excess energy? Check facebook? Check the news? Ping someone on chat? See some “funny” youtube video you got spammed with? Right. Boredom gone, noise done, energy back to normal, progress zero.
What could you have done instead? Meditate for five minutes. Review your todo list and drop some activities from there (not do them, drop them, decide you won’t do them). Walk around trying to gain clarity. Be grateful. Do some exercise.
With all the sinchronicities that happen lately, planetary conscience shift, 2012 apocalypse, global warming and all that, NOW is a great time to shift gears. Press the clutch, shift and enjoy the ride!